You are here
- Harassment of employees and students will not be tolerated in the school district. School district includes school district facilities, school district premises, and nonschool property if the employee or student is at any school sponsored, school approved or school related activity or function, such as field trips or athletic events where students are under the control of the school district or where the employee is engaged in school business.
EMPLOYEES ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED it is a violation of the Substance-Free Workplace policy for an employee to unlawfully manufacture, distribute, dispense, possess, use, or be under the influence of in the workplace any narcotic drug, hallucinogenic drug, amphetamine, barbituate, marijuana or any other controlled substance or alcohol, as defined in Schedules I through V of section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812) and as further defined by regulation at 21 C.F.R. 1300.11 through 1300.15 and Iowa Code Chapter 204.
A superintendent who suspects an employee has a substance abuse problem will follow these procedures:
EMPLOYEES GOVERNED BY THE DRUG AND ALCOHOL TESTING POLICY ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED they are subject to the school district's drug and alcohol testing program for pre-employment drug testing and in addition are subject to random, reasonable suspicion and post-accident drug and alcohol testing as outlined in the Drug and Alcohol Testing Program policy, its supporting documents and the law.
I. Commitment to the student.
- The board will enter into a written contract with licensed employees, other than administrators, employed on a regular basis. Each contract will be for a period of one year.
- Contracts entered into with licensed employees, other than an administrator, will continue from year to year except as modified or terminated as provided by law. The board may issue temporary and nonrenewable contracts in accordance with law.Licensed employees whose contracts will be recommended for termination by the board will receive due process as required by law. The superintendent will make a recommendation to the board for the termination of the licensed employee's contract.
- The work day for licensed employees will begin each day of the school year at a time established by the superintendent. Licensed employees who are employed only during the academic year will have the same work day as other licensed employees. "Day" is defined as one work day regardless of full-time or part-time status of an employee.
- Determining the assignment of each licensed employee is the responsibility of and within the sole discretion of the board. In making such assignments the board will consider the qualifications of each licensed employee and the needs of the school district.It is the responsibility of the superintendent to make recommendations to the board regarding the assignment of licensed employees.Legal Reference:Iowa Code §§ 279.8.Cross Reference:200.2 Powers of the Board of Directors
Every effort will be made by the licensed employees to help students with learning problems before recommending that the parents engage a tutor. Since there are exceptional cases when tutoring will help students overcome learning deficiencies, tutoring by licensed employees may be approved by the superintendent.
Licensed employees may only tutor students other than those for whom the teacher is currently exercising teaching, administrative or supervisory responsibility unless approved by the superintendent.
The board encourages licensed employees to attend and participate in professional development activities to maintain, develop, and extend their skills. The board will maintain and support an in-service program for licensed employees.